Sometimes I wonder if we had just saved all of our dimes and nickels for all this time, we probably could have a bought a working version of Akupara by now. But then again, we would have an unknown boat with all kinds of yet to be discovered issues. At least with Akupara we will be 100% intimate with every nut bolt screw wire fixture fitting piece of wood rope material and know for sure that if and when there is an issue exactly how to fix it.
We purchased Akupara 16 months ago.
We emptied everything we could out of her belly.
We piled it high in our basement.
The sails were near the bottom.
Yesterday I finally got around to investigating them, now that they are almost accessible, and we pulled them out to take a good look.
There is a brand new set of storm sails from Lee Sails, a jib and a trysail which is nice.
There is an old main that is pretty tired and probably the original main from the boat,
an old headsail that is ok,
but still fairly tired, a mizzen sail which appears to be a mainsail off of some other boat, we will use it until we replace them.
There was also a mystery sail that came from a bag labelled Pearson 39, lapper.
It was an early racing sail by the looks of it, not dacron and yet not full kevlar. It was beaten to hell, dirty, smelly and found a new home in the garbage. It was not worth trying to save it. I could imagine hoisting it only to have it rip apart in the first puff of wind. Easier to pitch it now.
We also bought another Dewalt Random Orbital Sander. The first one is still going strong but we have some serious deck work to get at soon, and 2 will make it a lot quicker than one. As well, the Admiral always tells tall tales about how she is going to bring the sander home and sand during the week so that the pieces are ready for the weekend. Cough, never happened so I beat her at her own game. Now there is a brand new one here ;-).